Otome Survival 17
Tags: Otome Survival
Yesterday was a great day, which is why this chapter was delayed.
I've been considering using a more "English" style of text formatting (I dunno what the proper terms are) for quite a while now. Basically, it would mean restructuring the text quite a bit so the action of the speaker is on the same line. Japanese authors mostly use different speech patterns and context to avoid having to write "she said" and "he said" on every line, so because English is a bit harder in that regard I'd have to add them at some points. But even then, I was able to avoid that for the most part so far because it's mostly clear who's speaking. I'd really just be shuffling the text around a bit.
They also tend to first write the dialogue in one block, the actions of the speakers being written either before or after it. A more "English" style would make the actions happen around the time that line is spoken. I personally like this approach better, but it would require me to take some liberties on how to split and move the text around.
I'm partial to leaving as much of the author's original style as possible, but I also believe that it's up to me to make the translation be the best it can be in English, so I'm quite torn apart on this issue. I'd appreciate some feedback on this.
PS. Somehow I screwed up the links in the resources for this web novel. It's really weird. They work when I test the site locally, but not when it's built and uploaded to my server. They're fixed now, anyway.
- [+] Something that was added in the light novel.
- [–] Something that didn't make it into the light novel.
- [≠] Some difference in details.
- [≠] In the light novel Aria specifically mentions a dwarf's lifespan being around 300 years, while in the web novel she just wonders how long their lifespan is.
- [≠] In the light novel Viro tells Aria that the knife would still cost 20 gold coins or more, but in the web novel he says 10 gold coins.
- [+] Galbas saying "Ash smeared. This is yer weapon." when he gives her the black knife.
- [+] Them going to the main street first before preparing to leave.
- [≠] Aria thinks that even if the difference in combat strength was tenfold she could maybe try fighting, but it was better to escape in the web novel, while in the light novel she doesn't even consider fighting.
- [+] Viro confirming with Aria that she's fine with camping out when he said they'll mostly sleep outdoors and her responding with "Of course".
- [–] Aria mentioning how she wanted to know more about spatial sorcery but that woman's knowledge was lacking once again because she wasn't interested.
- [≠] In the web novel it was mentioned that the viscounty was only around 60% of the barony, but in the light novel it was just smaller without any quantity.
- [–] The explanation of the barony being bigger because it was next to a dangerous monster habitat.
- [≠] In the light novel it took them three days to reach the village troubled by bandits, while in the web novel it took them two days.
- [+] The part about Viro tasking her to defeat three goblins, Aria killing them one by one, and then Viro saying that there'll be no problem if she can fight to that extent before telling here they'll go hunting bandits.
- [≠] In the light novel Aria reacts with Viro not being soft on kids, but in the web novel she describes him as being spartan. This may possibly just be a more liberal translation by the light novel translator, I just chose to keep the "spartan" term since English also has that concept.